XESS Connections C API Toolkit
Using the XESS Connections Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit, a
client/server application can be fully integrated with the
appearing to the user as a single unified application. This Connections
API lets your program remotely control all aspects of the spreadsheet,
including drawing graphs, printing, and calculating. XESS becomes your
application's user interface, greatly reducing your development time and
The API also provides the basis for extensions to XESS developed by
AIS and by other suppliers. These extensions range from factory automation
to financial trading to parametric design to third-party database
XESS Connections Application Programming Interface (API)
provides a flexible and powerful C programming interfaces based on X
Windows protocol which allows XESS to be customized, extended, and even
tightly integrated with other products or applications. In client/server
models, XESS can function as either client or server.
The XESS Connections API gives you the following programmatic
control over the XESS spreadsheet:
- Invoke essentially the same level of functionally as you can
using the XESS spreadsheet interactively.
- Add application-specific menus and pull-down operations to
the XESS main menu.
- Add application-specific @-functions.
- Replace the standard XESS menus and pull-down operations
with application-specific menus and callback functions.
- Achieve process-to-process communication with other X
Windows programs anywhere on your network.
- Incorporate real-time two-way updates with live data
connections anywhere on your network.
- Enable widget-like integration of the XESS spreadsheet.
- Merge event loops.
An XESS spreadsheet accommodates incoming and outgoing connections to 63
different programs at the same time, offering vast possibilities for using
XESS in very sophisticated applications.
Consider the potential for using connections in your work -- for having
XESS accept, process, display, and transfer information to and from other
programs in real-time. That is, the data will be continually updated on
screen as you watch. For example, you can:
- use XESS to custom-design a form to display financial trading
information, updated in real-time, and to compute complex
- create a spreadsheet that organizes and displays
process-control data (e.g. monitoring and controlling water
flow in a water treatment plant) in a format of your design,
then pass that data to other programs for other purposes.
- continuously monitor quality-control data fed from a
manufacturing process or scientific data from a laboratory
instrument in any format you define.
- create your own built-in functions and call them from an
- pass extremely demanding calculations to a supercomputer
that can calculate many times faster than your workstation,
then pass the results back to your workstation.
- conduct continuous statistical analyses of an ever-changing
- use the XESS technology as an intelligent front-end and/or
full-function spreadsheet component for host
- use XESS as an alternative to a static table interface and get
the added benefit of all XESS technology which can be used to
extend the underlying functionality of its host environment.
Company Information |
How to Buy |
Download Trial Version
Applied Information Systems, Inc.
100 Europa Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514 USA